Friday, August 9, 2013

Vermont 2013: Day 3

We spent my birthday in Vermont this year. We often travel on my birthday but it's been many years since I've celebrated with my sister. She always makes it extra special!

The day started off with a trip to a local blueberry farm 


to pick our own berries!


It was a beautiful day, warm and sunny.


The Charlotte Berry Farm had about five different varieties of blueberries. We sampled and picked all of them!


Will is not the hugest fan of blueberries. In fact, if you look closely at this picture, you can see he brought a book to read!  


Fortunately, it turns out that Will likes to pick blueberries and eat them, if they are crunchy enough. And you can bet the blueberry farm had plenty of crunchy berries!


Mmmmm....good!  


We had such a fun morning picking berries


and came home with exactly three pounds. 


Our next adventure was a hike up Mount Philo.


It is quite a hike, up about 650 feet, or some 60 flights of stairs (if you are wearing your Fitbit!).


We were all over-dressed in pants and we were working hard, so we had to stop and rest a couple of times,


but we made it!


Oh my, the reward at the top was this amazing view of the Lake Champlain Valley.




I accidentally put Henry's water bottle in my bag without closing the cap and it leaked everywhere. It made for a good excuse to sit and rest at the top for a bit while everything dried in the sun.



 All ready to hike back down!


I love this picture of Henry resting on a boulder.


After our long hike, we treated ourselves to lunch at the Vermont Pub and Brewery, a craft brewery in downtown Burlington.


We never let our kids drink soda, but there are a couple of exceptions. They get ginger ale on airplanes and root beer when we visit breweries that make their own. So while Gene and I enjoyed some experimental brews, the boys sipped root beer!


We were all beat after the morning, so I am pretty sure the afternoon involved a nap (for me) and some media time for the boys. We had to gear up for an evening out!


Amber arranged for a couple of babysitters and then she and Tom took us to dinner at the Bearded Frog in Shelburne. The food was delicious and the company was better! We always enjoy being with Amber and Tom and are sad that they live so far away.  After dinner, we drove through Shelburne Farms 


and Tom showed us the Brick House, which is part of Shelburne Museum.  


My little sister!


Amber got a cake, 


so we saved it for after our dinner out and let the kids stay up late to help eat it.


This was the perfect way to spend my birthday, in a beautiful part of our country and with some of my very favorite people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment