Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tell Me a Story

The boys love books and for the last year or so, they have loved for us to make up our own stories for them. I admit that I am not the best story-teller around, but almost every day, I hear the words "Tell me a story, Mommy." Will especially likes to request stories on the long rides home from school, when he is tired. I usually oblige, and he likes to add characters or problems or places to the story.
At Christmastime, my friend Amy told me about eeBoo's Fairytale Spinner Game. It is the perfect game for my little boys who love stories! The game is so easy that even Henry can play. You just spin the wheel and collect a place, a hero, a magical helper, a magical object, a mode of transportation, treasure and a rival. Once you have all seven pieces, you "win" and you get to tell a story about your characters!
It is a fun game because there are so many different possibilities, and we don't play to win. We all collect our story pieces and we take turns telling our stories. Last time we played, Will had an ogre who "protected his treasure for more days than you can live." I love the way he phrased it!
This is a typical Henry story: "Once upon a time, there was a dragon and he ran and ran and ran." Henry likes to literally run with his characters, which is okay, but we just have to make sure we don't lose them!

I wonder what that greedy ogre and running dragon will be up to next time we play?

No comments:

Post a Comment