Thursday, February 10, 2011

Feeling Crafty?

Valentine's Day seems to bring out the crafty in people, even non-crafty people like me. I signed up to help out with Will's Valentine's party at school this year, so the boys and I have been working hard on getting everything ready. This is what our kitchen looks like right now:
All those white piles are paper plates stapled together in heart shapes. They'll end up looking like the heart hanging from the chandelier when the kids are done. The teachers requested a "simple craft that the kids can complete in 10 minutes or less" and since I prepped twenty "hearts," it should be a pretty easy craft!

Will also had to make a box to hold all his Valentines. I know some moms go all out and make crazy-cool designs like monsters or robots, but we opted for a simple, covered box with some construction-paper hearts and heart stickers. Will decided to make a pattern around the base of his box. I don't think we'll win any prizes for our box, but it ended up being pretty cute, and Will even wrote "Will's Box" in the hearts on top. Next we had to get all our Valentines ready for our school friends. I just bought inexpensive fold-over cards at Target and Will signed his name on every card.
I tried to get Will to write his classmates' names on the cards, but the cards were just too little for my big writer, so instead I dug out some envelopes and he very carefully wrote out the names of all 15 of his classmates on the envelopes!
Then he put stickers on the envelopes. His best little girl friend, Chloe, got two stickers, but everyone else just got one.
Then I stapled the circus-themed cards to packs of animal crackers. I did the same thing for Henry's class, but Henry isn't writing just yet, so he just put stickers on the cards for me.

And our last Valentine's project was making chocolate-dipped pretzels. I bought white baker's chocolate, melted it and added two drops of red food coloring to turn it pink. I gave the boys small bowls of the chocolate along with some strawberries and pretzels for a snack yesterday.
Yum!!
I figured the boys were too little to really help me with this, so I just dipped the pretzels myself. They are supposed to look like hearts. Kind of?
Did Valentine's Day bring out the crafty in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment