Tuesday, August 3, 2010

DC: The Travel Day

Gene travels a lot, but the boys and I never get to go with him on his journeys -- until now! Gene was in Washington, D.C. all last week and is still there now, so the boys and I flew up on Friday and spent three full days exploring the city with him. The boys were so excited about this trip. Will had been counting down the days til we left and woke up Friday morning saying, "This is the day we're going to Washington, D.C.!" This was my first time to travel alone with both boys, so I was pretty nervous, but Gene took our big suitcase so I only had to deal with a small carry-on, the diaper bag and two sweet little boys. They did so well!
As you can see, they loved watching the planes at the airport. And yes, I dressed them in matching outfits the entire trip so I wouldn't lose them!
Despite not napping, the boys behaved well on the three-hour flight and continued to behave while I navigated the DC Metro. Fortunately, it was pretty easy since I had booked rooms at L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, which is literally on top of a Metro station. The best part was that Gene arrived at the hotel before we did and met us outside the Metro stop to take us up to our rooms. Will was a bit disappointed that Friday was only a travel day because he didn't get to see anything, but we more than made up for it with the rest of the trip.

This was the view from our rooms. Throughout the whole trip, Will knew to use the Washington Monument as a landmark!We were supposed to have adjoining rooms but we were upgraded to a suite, so Gene and I had our own room and the boys' room consisted of a pull-out sleeper sofa for Will, a separate sitting area and a dining room. It was huge, and perfect for our rambunctious, Washington D.C.-loving youngsters!

1 comment:

  1. And a blog post THE DAY YOU GET HOME. You are truly amazing. A mom in a million.

    ReplyDelete