Thursday, October 28, 2010

At-Home Play

My boys love adventures, so we are always taking them on outings to festivals, museums and the zoo. But sometimes they crave some quiet time at home too. Will's favorite new thing is to work on his dot-to-dot books.
He's slightly obsessed with them, and I'm not sure he even knows that they're educational. He would work on connecting the dots all day if I let him!
Henry, on the other hand, is completely obsessed with Play-Doh. He plays with it every day, but I've made it an outside toy. As you can see from this picture, Henry has mixed all his colors into one shade of muddy green.
Sometimes, if we're all playing inside, Henry just likes to draw.
For me, the most exciting thing about our at-home time is teaching Will to read. We've been using Hooked on Phonics for several months, but we just recently finished the pre-K books (which were mostly review for us) and last week we cracked open our Kindergarten set. I'm so impressed because Will is already reading! We've only covered four lessons, but Will has learned all the -at, -an, -ap, and -ad words as well as a couple of "helper" words.
The little reader is SO proud of himself!
The best part is showing Henry (or anyone who will listen) how he can read! I'm already looking forward to our next quiet day at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment