Thursday, February 25, 2010

Marches

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone who knows us that we like music a lot. We have a huge CD collection and the boys have tons of musical instruments (which get played an awful lot around here!).
Last summer, Gene decided to make a CD of marches (mostly John Philip Sousa) to celebrate the Fourth of July. Well, we had no idea how that would change our lives. Will fell in love with marches and we listen to that CD every day. There are at least four copies floating around the house, and it's Will's favorite bedtime CD. How many people can fall asleep to marches? Will can, and does, almost every night. In fact, Will suggested that we listen to marches on Christmas morning, and my bewildered brother-in-law just asked, "Why would we do that?" Of course, Will's answer would be that marches are always appropriate music for any occasion.
This week, Gene and I went to see The Band of the Irish Guard at Jones Hall. They were amazing! The band members were out and about before the concert and during intermission, and I was not the only one to have her picture taken with a member of the Guard. They were good sports.
The concert was really good, but I watched the whole thing through Will's eyes. I so wish my little boy had been able to come with us. He would have been so excited to see a real live marching band, but a 7:30 pm concert just doesn't work for a three-year-old.
Since we couldn't take Will to the concert, we took the concert to him (via a program and a new CD). I have to say, we weren't sure how Will would like the CD, mostly because he can be very particular about his music, and he doesn't always like new things. So we are very excited to report that we now have a second marching CD to add to our rotation. In this picture, Will is showing that song number 2 is playing.
Henry enjoyed flipping through the program.
And of course, we can't have all these marching songs without having our very own marching parades around the house.

I'm not sure if I'll be a soccer mom, but I'm pretty certain I'll become a marching band mom one of these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment