Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting ready for Valentine's Day

If you know me at all, you know I am not a very crafty person, and that certainly extends to the kids' valentines. Normally their classmates just receive Elmo valentines from the store. This year Will came home with a note from his teacher that made me think I needed to put some extra effort into making cards (or at least that Will needed to actively participate in the process!). We got out the glue, scissors and pencils and were all set to craft away!
First, Will had the list of his classmates and he was supposed to cut out all their names, since the kids are working on "beginning scissor skills." Will did great but I was helping him so I didn't get a picture. But you can see from the end result that he actually did all the cutting himself!
I bought blank white cards and wrote the phrase "No bones about it -- you are top dog!"on it to go along with the Scooby Doo dog-bone-shaped graham crackers I bought. After cutting out all the names, Will signed his name on every single card. He is getting so good at this, but clearly we need to work some more on how to hold a pencil!
Next we glued the names on the cards, which was not as messy as you might expect. I could hardly believe it, but the table was completely glue-free by the end of the project!
This is the final product. Cute, right? And it was so much fun too!

And for Henry's class, I stole an idea from a friend and bought inexpensive flatware sets at Target (love that dollar spot!) and taped leftover Elmo valentine cards from last year onto them with a little note that says "It's Valentine's Day soon. Eat treats with your new fork and spoon!" 
I hope your Valentine's festivities are as fun as ours have been! Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment: