Monday, February 15, 2010

The Best Valentine's Dinner

Sometimes a memory is a faulty thing. When Gene asked what we should do for Valentine's Day, I just told him he could cook for me, because in my memory, he cooks for me every Valentine's Day. Apparently he does not because last year the four of us went to Tin Roof BBQ. Delicious, but not my sweetie's special Valentine's dinner. In fact, although I remember Gene cooking for me every Valentine's Day, I can actually only recall the menu from five years ago when we spent our first Valentine's Day in this house. So perhaps I just want Gene to cook for me every year...
We got our new dining room table in last week, just in time for our special dinner. Gene dug out our nice china, real silver, and candles!
The first course: tomato bisque. Yum yum yum. This soup was so velvety and rich. I am so glad we have some leftover. I cannot wait for dinner tonight!
The main course: Chateaubriand with Bearnaise sauce and roasted asparagus.
Chateaubriand -- the perfect meat for Valentine's dinner because it only makes enough for two!

The meat was like butter. It melted in our mouths. Just divine. And the Bearnaise sauce? Rich and creamy, it was perfection (and so well done for Gene's first time!).

And dessert: brownies baked in our heart-shaped ramekins, topped with hand-whipped cream.

Gene truly outdid himself this year. From start to finish, this meal was incredible. And the very best part? I woke up this morning to a spotless kitchen! Thanks, honey!

1 comment:

  1. For the record, it was totally worth all the effort. It also helped to have such wonderful company at dinner...

    ReplyDelete