Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Day in the Life

I love reading about others' day-to-day lives, so I thought it would be fun to do a post of a normal day in our household.  Of course, there is no such thing as a typical day (they are all different) so I just chose yesterday and took as many pictures as I could.  Here's a little look at what we did yesterday!

4:45 a.m. -- My alarm goes off. I get up and get into my workout clothes. I have been getting up early to work out for about 4 1/2 years and I love it! Lately I've been running 3-4 miles 3 days a week and using exercise DVDs (pilates, yoga, and strength) 2-3 days a week. 

5 a.m. -- I head downstairs to prep the coffeemaker and chose a workout DVD.  I stayed up a touch later than normal talking with Gene (his Thursday night class runs late) last night so I was tired and picked this Holly Perkins DVD and just did a quickie 20 minute strength workout. 


5:30 a.m. -- My workout is over. I savor the quiet and enjoy my coffee while reading emails and checking my google reader feed.  

6:15 a.m. -- I head upstairs to shower. I have to get my shower in before the rest of the crew is up!

6:30 a.m. -- Get Will up. He has an alarm clock but we were busy last night with his Safari Party performance and I forgot to set it. Fortunately, he is up and reading The Dragon in the Library, so I don't have to wake him up.

6:35 a.m. -- Head back downstairs for breakfast with my big boy. It's nice to have some time alone with just him. Everyone else in the house (including Gramma and Grampa, who spent the night) is still sleeping. The boys' weekday breakfasts are pretty routine.  We offer cereal, toast, yogurt or fruit.  This morning, Will chose toast with almond butter on one third, peanut butter on one third and sunbutter on the last third, plus a clementine and a glass of kefir.


I also start my breakfast: whipped banana oatmeal topped with cinnamon, blueberries, granola and a big scoop of almond butter. I never tire of oatmeal!


7:00 a.m. -- Will and I head upstairs.  I dry my hair and he gets ready for school. He wears his "How to Be a Ninja" shirt because he has his friend Sam's ninja party after school.  Slowly, the rest of the house wakes up just in time for us to head out the door. 


7:20 a.m. -- Will and I are out the door! We practice math facts on the drive to school. 

7:35 a.m. -- Drop Will off and get lots of hugs and kisses.

7:50 a.m. -- Arrive back home.  Henry has had a yogurt parfait with Daddy, Gramma and Grampa.  I head upstairs to finish getting ready, start a load of sheets, and get Henry ready for school. Grampa and Daddy move car seats to Grampa's car in anticipation of Aunt Amber's arrival on Saturday!

8:30 a.m. -- Henry and I are ready to go! Gene is on a conference call and Henry played with Gramma and Grampa. It was nice to have extra hands around this morning. I even had a chance to get the kitchen cleaned up, which does not always happen before school.  


8:45 a.m. -- Henry and I leave for school. He is a happy boy!


9:10 a.m. -- Back at home, I send some emails about Henry's birthday party which is coming up in one week! Then I head up to fold the laundry (towels from yesterday) and make the beds with fresh sheets straight from the dryer. I dust and clean the bathrooms. It is not exciting but I don't have a housekeeper and I try to do a little bit of cleaning every day.  


10:10 a.m. -- Nana calls because she had just been to Will's performance of the Safari Party, so we chat about that.  

10:45 a.m. -- The house is finally tidy so I take a few minutes to sit down and blog about Will's Safari Party.

11:15 a.m. -- I throw together a quick salad for lunch. Arugula, roasted beets, goat cheese, pumpkin seeds with balsamic dressing and cracked black pepper Triscuits on the side.  



11:35 a.m. -- Leave to get Henry from school. He wants to show me something "cool" on the playground. We also stop and check out his new Texas-themed bulletin board. 



12:00 p.m. -- Leave St. Paul's and head straight for WUES to get Will. It's an early release day and I hear the bell ring before we reach the school! Fortunately Will is not the last one to be picked up! As soon as I get Will, we head straight to his friend Sam's birthday party. Henry was invited too! The boys bounce in the bounce house and gobble pizza, cheese puffs, carrots and watermelon.  


1:30 p.m. -- Time for the cookie cake and ice cream!


2:00 p.m. -- The party doesn't end until 2:30 but Will is trying to "rest" in the bounce house and is blocking the stairs to the slide. I climb in, manage to get him out, and we all head home. It was a busy week with three Safari Party performances plus soccer and piano. Will is exhausted!


2:15 p.m. -- I am tired too so brew some coffee. The boys play on their tablets (Bloons Tower Defense 4) and I return some phone calls and emails, file some paperwork, clean the microwave and kitchen sink, and spend some time searching for a violin teacher for Henry.  


3:45 p.m. -- The boys put their tablets away awhile ago and are happily playing pookies together so I start prepping dinner. We're having three bean soup and naan, which is one of our favorite meals! We probably make it at least 2 times a month.

5:00 p.m. -- The boys are hungry so they eat. I don't eat til 5:30 and spend this time unpacking backpacks and tidying up the kitchen. 



5:30 p.m. -- Will "doesn't know what to do" so I suggest he practice the piano. He loves playing the piano so I just say it once and he goes off to play! Henry stays nearby and listens and runs around like a crazy guy.  


5:50 p.m. -- Henry remembers that his friend Ethan gave him an early birthday gift and asks to open it. 


 Will "helps" him.


Ethan gave him Zingo and some Blendy Pens.  


6:00 p.m. -- Gene gets home and has dinner while the boys and I start coloring with Henry's new pens.


The final result!


6:30 p.m. -- I clean up the kitchen while Gene and the boys wrestle on the sofa and discuss the events of the day. Daddy also makes lots of Henry and Will sandwiches (the boys sandwiched between pillows) and pretends to eat them. They laugh a lot!


6:50 p.m. -- Will is melting down so the boys head up to shower while I finish tidying the downstairs. When I come up, I find Henry half-clothed waving his magic wand in the dark. It takes him a couple reminders before he finally gets all the way into his jammies.  


7:20 p.m. -- Weezie has been reminding us for awhile that she is hungry. She waits by the laundry room.


Henry insists on feeding her.  


7:25 p.m. -- Will reads Henry his bedtime stories.  


7:40 p.m. -- Will is all tucked in bed and rocking to his music. He is tired!

7:50 p.m. -- Henry is tucked in after 20 hugs, 20 kisses, 20 squeezes, and 20 raspberries plus three minutes of me lying with him. It's quite the bedtime routine but we don't hear another peep from him. Gene and I have some time to relax, read and talk together but we are both exhausted.

8:30 p.m. -- We are an old married couple and the lights are out before normal this night!

No comments:

Post a Comment