Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dr. Seuss Week

Dr. Seuss's birthday was March 2, so to celebrate Dr. Seuss Week (and Read Across America), the little boys and I decided to do a week of projects and activities to celebrate. I have seen tons of ideas on Pinterest, so that's where my inspiration came from. First, I had the boys scour their bookshelves to find all our Dr. Seuss books. We have A LOT!!

The first book we read was Green Eggs and Ham. Will chose to read it to us. Then we made pistachio pudding and put a Nilla wafer in the middle (idea from mygratitudeattitudes.blogspot.com). It was a sweet green egg!

Some had sprinkles on top, just for fun.
"Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am! And I would eat them in a boat. And I would eat them with a goat..."
One of the boys' favorite Dr. Seuss books is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. While Will was busy doing homework one afternoon, I had Henry make a Grinch face (idea from stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com). Since he likes to cut paper so much, I had him cut out green scraps and glue them on.
I also asked Henry how he would make the Grinch smile. His answer? By hugging and kissing him. (Sweet boy!)
Another morning, we read Fox in Socks and Henry decorated an orange sock.

And here's the idea that started the whole Dr. Seuss project week for me (graph from oopseydaisyblog.com).
We read One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and made goldfish graphs!
Graphing is an area that both boys needed extra practice with, so I wanted to make it fun, and colored goldfish are fun because you get to eat them!
They both did great with their graphs. And did you know that the colored goldfish are now made with natural colors (beet juice, turmeric and watermelon juice!). Love that!
We also made patterns with the goldfish.
On Friday night, Daddy came home for movie night and we all watched Horton Hears a Who. I had requested the newest version from the library, but when I checked it out, the 1970 version was in the 2008 case! It's a good thing the boys didn't really know or care. We also found some Horton coloring sheets and tons of other activities on seussville.com. Will's current favorite Dr. Seuss book is The Lorax. We first read it at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay last summer and he still loves it. We didn't do a craft, but I found some math worksheets on seussville.com and we've talked a lot about what we can do to protect our environment. And of course, we can't wait to go see the movie in the theaters. A fun spring-break outing?
The boys both told me that they loved their Dr. Seuss week activities, so I think we'll try to continue this with other authors and books. I have so many ideas for their favorite books already!

No comments:

Post a Comment