Monday, August 8, 2011

Maine 2011: The Trains

On our last visit to Maine, in August 2009, I had two little boys who were absolutely obsessed with trains. On this trip, my boys were bigger, and trains weren't quite the fun they once were. Of course, that didn't stop us from visiting two train museums anyway!

Our first stop was the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum in Portland. My dad, Amber and Leo all came along for the ride. Henry is showing us his "secret" pirate signal here. I guess it works on trains too.
This train went to the end of the line and then just went in reverse back to the station. We all got out at the end to enjoy the beautiful view of the harbor and Gene snapped a picture of my sister and me with our three boys (all decked out in their lobster tees!) while my dad chatted with the conductor. After our stay in Castine, we stopped in Boothbay on our return to Portland. Two years ago, the Boothbay Railway Village was one of the highlights of the trip, so we thought we'd visit again this year. Henry was all set to ride the train!
Loving it. The engineer.Happy Will telling me about crocodiles. The village has a model train room where volunteers have been working on a model train for five years. I loved the lighthouse but you can see the empty space in the background where there is lots and lots of work to be done. Henry wanted to fill up the gas tank on this beautiful classic car.The museum even has a car museum (our second of the trip, after visiting the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Rockland). Henry especially liked climbing in this 1923 Ford Model T Depot Hack. I took this one for Gene. On the way out, we passed by some hungry goats. I had my quarter out and was all ready to buy some feed, but the feeder was empty. Sorry, goats! So even though pirates and rockets have surpassed trains for my little guys, we discovered that you're really never too old to enjoy a ride on an antique train in the heart of Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment