Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Days

The boys and I are loving summer break! The boys have been absolutely inseparable lately. Even after being together all day long, we catch Henry, almost every night, sneaking into his brother's room with the excuse of "but I really like Will!" I admit that I do sometimes miss my free time (especially if there are very naughty boys around), but mostly I am loving our long summer days together. There's plenty of time for playdates, trips to libraries and museums, or staying in our jammies for half the day!

Can you guess where I took the boys this afternoon? We ventured out to the Menil to see some art! They liked it, but the MFAH is still their fave art museum.

And on the days we stay at home, the boys love to work on their letters. They are downright obsessed lately! Every morning, the very first thing Henry wants to do (sometimes even before eating breakfast, and we all know how he likes to eat!) is his Hooked on Phonics. We are already on the letter G! This morning he made this awesome G out of grass. Love it!


And Will's newest favorite activity is spelling! Here he had spelled out buzz the best he could with his three-letter flip book. He was also busy tracing words in and then reading from one of his HOP story books. Here Will was showing Henry how to spell words that ended in -ig. He spelled wig and had already done pig, dig, fig, and big! See how he rocks his purposely mismatched jammies? It's the new cool thing to do at our house. And speaking of my big boy, can I tell you how proud I am of Will? We just found out that he qualified for the Gifted and Talented program at school next year. I wasn't sure how it would go because we got the second-to-last spot for testing and it happened to be at 1 pm, which is not an ideal time. Then Will didn't want to go talk to the teacher. And then he came home and told me all about the questions she asked. He said there were lots of hard words he didn't know, he couldn't remember where his wrist was, and he thought Snow White lived with 17 dwarfs! Well, I needn't have worried because Will did great! He scored a 95 out of a possible 100 (and you only need 68 to get into the program). We are all SO proud of our big boy and know he is absolutely going to flourish next year in Kindergarten! In the meantime, I need to enjoy my summer days with my sweet boys because I am sure going to miss them when school starts up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment