Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Letter S

Last week was all about the letter S at our house. We studied spiders and snakes and spent lots of time in the kitchen!
The boys made their capital S into a slithery snake. Will painted his lots of different colors
but Henry chose to make one big red snake.
We also went to the reptile room at the zoo to check out some really big, really real snakes while we were there last week! We made our lowercase s into a spider and read The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out (Big Time) by Troy Cummings and The Bugliest Bug by Carol Diggory Shields.

We saw a tarantula and some ground squirrels at the Natural Encounters exhibit at the zoo.

Will took a long nap one afternoon last week, so Henry helped me make swope bread, which is a hearty whole wheat and buttermilk bread that my parents made ALL the time when I was a kid.

Yummy!

We also made lots and lots of spinach smoothies.


It is CSA season again and we are loving our big weekly box of local produce, but we had so many greens and I didn't know how to use them all, so I decided to throw some spinach into our smoothies, and let me tell you, they are delicious!

Here's my recipe for a green smoothie that you'll love:

one generous handful of spinach

1 very ripe banana

about a half a cup of milk (any kind)

a handful of ice cubes

1 generous tablespoon of nut butter (any kind)


Blend together and enjoy! You don't even need any sweetener because the banana is so sweet. This makes enough for one adult, so add a little extra of everything if you have to share with your kids, which I always do. My boys love their green smoothies! It's also a great way to sneak in some greens if you have picky eaters (which fortunately I do not have!)You can't even taste the spinach but it turns the smoothie a beautiful color!


We had a super S week!

No comments:

Post a Comment