Thursday, May 1, 2014

Street Photography

My photography class on composition ended a few weeks ago. Our final class assignment was street photography, which basically is candid photos of people (or sometimes objects) in urban settings. It is not easy and definitely not my favorite style of photography.  It's hard to be discreet with a big old camera in front of your face. 

I went out four times in an attempt to capture some images that would qualify as street photography. I was looking for color, shadows, reflections, repeating patterns, and all sorts of other design elements. These are my pictures from my neighborhood, around the school:  





Next I went to the farmers market but none of my pictures turned out. The third stop was Galveston Island, which is a very camera-friendly zone and therefore an easy place to take pictures of total strangers. Plus I was with my family so I just pretended to take pictures of the boys. 





My final excursion was with a girlfriend from my photography class. We decided to ride the light rail from the Medical Center to downtown and got off at every single stop. We got some decent shots but also a lot of comments about our cameras, including someone trying to sell us an old film camera. Go figure. 












So there's my Houston street photography, probably the last you will ever see from my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment