Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why is the Fourth of July?

For most people, the Fourth of July means remembering our forefathers, honoring our service men and women, and being thankful for our many freedoms. Independence Day is all those things for me too, but I cannot celebrate this holiday without remembering my grandparents and lazy summer days in Wisconsin.
The Fourth of July always reminds me of my grandpa. Every year he would say, "Why is the Fourth of July?" My sister and I would try to answer his question by discussing our independence, but really, my grandpa was making a statement, not asking a question. It was his favorite little joke, not a question at all, because "y" is the fourth letter of July. So now every year on the Fourth of July, I think of my grandpa.
I'm not sure how many times I actually was in Wisconsin for the Fourth of July, but in my memory, it was quite often. I can taste the juicy red watermelon and see my grandpa sitting in a chair in his huge backyard, spitting out the seeds. I see the fresh-picked zucchini piled at the side of the road with a sign saying "FREE" because his garden was so bountiful. I hear the loud rumble of the train as it roars by their house. I see and hear the fireworks exploding over the river, with a great view from my great-uncle's backyard. And I feel the warm embrace of my grandma. I wish my grandparents were still around to see these little boys. They would have adored them, and I would have loved to introduce Will and Henry to the long, lazy summer days in Wisconsin.
Instead, we'll make our own Fourth of July memories, like marching in the Fall Creek parade, rain and all.
Or eating a flag cake. Or watching fireworks and marching bands on TV a day late because the little ones were too exhausted to stay up til dark.
But even if some things change, I have no doubt that one part of the tradition will stay the same, because every year on the 4th, I wake up and say "Y is the Fourth of July," just like my grandpa always did.

No comments:

Post a Comment