Monday, July 5, 2010

It Almost Rained on My Parade

Fall Creek's annual Fourth of July parade almost didn't happen this year. First it was canceled due to lack of volunteers, and when it finally got back on the schedule, rain almost did away with it! It rained in short, heavy bursts immediately before the start of the parade. Everyone got wet but we all huddled under the tents to try to stay dry. Nana, Pop, Mike, Jess and little Mary all braved the weather to come out and march with us!
My good friend Liz and I worked with our neighborhood's Social Events Committee to pull of this parade. It was a ton of work but so worth it in the end! We had a good turnout, despite the weather, and everyone had fun. The one benefit of the rain was that it wasn't blazing hot!
We didn't win any prizes for our "float." As you can see, our decorations didn't fare so well in the rain. I actually had a lot more planned, including cute hats for the boys, pompoms to shake, and Sousa marches to blare out on my iPod. But it just didn't happen this year. The hats turned into little lakes that the pompoms floated on, and we hid the iPod dock so as not to ruin it.I didn't get any photos of the parade, but my sweet mother-in-law took a bunch. Thanks, Nancy! You can see from this picture that I was a bit preoccupied, calling out the raffle winners (including Mike!) at the start of the parade. The parade marched on, despite the weather. Hours and hours of hard work, and it was all over in a matter of minutes! So, in the end, it didn't rain on my parade. But even if it had, we all would've been out there marching anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment