Saturday, August 12, 2017

Good Reads {July 2017}

"One benefit of summer was that we had more light to read by."  -- Jeannette Walls in The Glass Castle


We spent half of July on vacations to places with limited to no WiFi, which proved excellent for my reading life. I finished twelve books in July, which is a huge number for me! Here are my very favorites from the month:

Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
I picked up this memoir of Ruth Reichl's time as the New York Times restaurant critic at the library book sale table, and it was a perfect read for summer vacation. I love memoirs in general and especially love foodie memoirs. This was a real treat -- funny and well written!

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
When we were on vacation in California, I realized that I had packed some heavy books. So when we visited Small World Books in Venice, I picked up The Rosie Project, which was a perfect light read. Quirky professor Don Tillman is on a quest to find the perfect wife, and creates an elaborate questionnaire to help him in his search. Rosie Jarman does not meet any of Don's requirements, and the ensuing results are surprisingly funny.

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
This slim book is utterly charming. The book features 20 years of letters between Helene Hanff and a bookseller in London and is a must-read for book lovers. What a gem!

The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve
I read this immediately after finishing a mediocre book and was so relieved to be back in the hands of a master storyteller. The Stars Are Fire is set in Maine in 1947, when fires ravage the coast. Grace and her children escape the fires and Grace must figure out how to live with her home gone and husband missing.

The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan
I picked up this book in the well-stocked library on our cruise ship, and it was a delightful summer read. Set on the imagined Scottish isle of Mure, this is the story of Flora and her return to her roots. It was light and perfect for the summer.

What have you been reading lately?  

No comments:

Post a Comment