Monday, September 23, 2013

Fall

Yesterday was the autumnal equinox, the first day of fall, and it was fitting that Houston had its very first true cool front blow in over the weekend. After three or four months of hot, sticky, sweaty weather, every Houstonian I know is more than ready to welcome fall with its cooler temps, plethora of pumpkins, and many opportunities to get outside and play. Yesterday was no exception for our family. I started the morning with my first run in three months. I am happy to admit that I am a fair-weather runner. When it is 80 degrees at 6 am, I am a happy, sweaty power walker. But once the temps dip back into the 60s, I'm excited to get outside and run. Yesterday was the perfect day to get my run on again!

After church, we loaded up our car with a picnic lunch and headed to Memorial Park to eat. I don't know what it is about a picnic, but the food somehow tastes so much better when eaten outside, with my favorite people. Lunch was so simple but so good!


After lunch, we headed over to the Arboretum for a hike. Will took this picture of Gene and me because we finally got some good hiking bags so we can lug water and cameras along without killing our backs. You can't really tell from this picture, but our bags suit our personalities perfectly. Mine was a gift from the National Wildlife Federation, while Gene's, which says Peace, Love, Understanding, was a gift from The Economist


We hiked a bunch of new-to-us trails around the Arboretum,


checked out the pond, 


and saw all kinds of wildlife, from dragonflies and butterflies to turtles and cardinals. We even spotted a big hawk (Henry thinks it was a red-tailed hawk) soaring high above us!


The Arboretum is such a special place for us. We are so lucky to have a beautiful natural spot in the heart of our great big city.  


Our day ended with dinner al fresco at Piola. (Thanks, Katy, for the recommendation!)


Yesterday was just a little taste of fall, since warmer temps are heading back our way, but I am so glad we spent a gorgeous day outside. We are so looking forward to spending many, many more hours in the great outdoors in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment