Thursday, June 3, 2010

Two Bug Mysteries Solved

Mystery #1: Where is Weezie?

Weezie-bug disappeared last Saturday night and was gone for 54 hours. The mystery isn't completely solved, since we have no idea where she went, but she is home now! We do know that she escaped through this small gap in the fence near the corner of our house. Yes, we do have bricks stacked there, but she knows how to pull the top brick out to squeeze through the gap.
We (and an battalion of neighborhood friends) searched for her for two days. We wandered through our neighborhood, armed with a plastic container of food, because if you know Weezie at all, you know she loves to eat and comes running when you shake food. But for two days, we had no luck! Finally, Tuesday morning when I was getting ready for boot camp, I went out to shake the food and call for her from the front of the house. Two minutes later I heard meowing at the back door and there was Weezie!

Needless to say, we are all excited to have our Weezie-bug back home with us. The boys, especially, are thrilled! I just wish she could talk and tell us where she went. Gene thinks she just needed a little vacation, but I'm thinking maybe it was a crash diet! She does look thinner...
Mystery #2: Who's been eating our tomatoes?

We have three gorgeous tomato plants, but every few days I go out and find that some of our tomatoes are chomped to bits. I figured it was birds, since they are always out in our backyard, but this is what I discovered this morning:

This was one large caterpillar! And he was exactly the same color as the tomato plant! I literally didn't see him at first, but I did see the three tomatoes that he had mostly eaten. At least we are guaranteed yummy tomatoes from our CSA and the farmers' market, since ours are being devoured by the likes of this guy.
So, the bug mysteries are now solved. We have our Weezie-bug back home where she belongs, and now we know it was bugs, not birds, eating our tomatoes. You can just call us the bug detectives!

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I always said she would come back!

    ReplyDelete