Sunday, July 23, 2017

California: Then and Now

My sister and I were so lucky as kids to travel all over the country and abroad, but growing up on the West Coast, we obviously saw a whole lot of California. Even though we didn't have a ton of money growing up, travel was always a priority for my parents. We visited museums, national and state parks, and more, often camping as we traveled from place to place.

When I was at my parents' house last week, I went through some of our old photo albums and was thrilled to find "twin" photos of some from our recent trip to California. I only looked through two albums, so didn't find La Brea Tar Pits (which made a HUGE impression on me as a kid), but if I find those pics later, I'll add them. For now, here's a trip down memory lane, Southern California style.

Trip to the Getty Museum in 1987


Getty Villa (the museum has expanded now), 2017


Getty Fountain, 1987


and 2017


Getty fruit trees, 1987 


and 2017


Trip to Sequoia National Park, September 1984


and July 2017. Take a look at how much the pine tree to the left of General Sherman has grown!


I don't have a photo of this slab but couldn't resist including it.
1984


2017


Kings Canyon Natioanl Park
Big Stump Trail, 1984


and 2017



I have so many fond childhood memories of travel and exploring and am so very thankful to my parents for taking us so many places! Their love of exploring and adventuring clearly impacted who I am, and I hope my children grow up with such adventurous spirits as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment