Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Good Reads {November 2016}

As the first semester is drawing to a close, the boys and I have been racing to finish the twenty Bluebonnet titles. Henry finished all twenty in record time!  


Here's a look at my favorite books from November:

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
This second book in the Inspector Gamache series was even better than the first. I'm not always a huge fan of mysteries, but the characters are well-developed and I am enjoying these cozy mysteries.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
I tried to read Bel Canto years ago at the suggestion of a friend, and just couldn't get into the story of a private-opera-performance-turned-hostage-crisis. This time around, the story drew me in and I didn't want to put it down. Gorgeously written.

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
I picked this up after reading a novel for book club that I intensely disliked, and it was exactly what I needed to cleanse my palate. A librarian is laid off from her job and creates a bookshop on wheels in Scotland. A sweet, light read.

Nightmares by Jason Segel
This is one of the four Bluebonnet nominees I read in November, and it was a fantastic middle-grade read. Charlie Laird's nightmares are coming to life and Charlie and his friends must race to stop the evil ruler of the Netherworld before he takes over the real world. Spooky, but not too scary for upper elementary school-aged children.

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
Set in the late nineteenth century, The Wonder is a tale of Anna O'Donnell, a young Irish girl whose parents claim that she hasn't eaten in four months. English nurse Lib Wright and another nurse are hired to watch the girl for two weeks to determine if she's being fed. Though the plot moves slowly, the story in engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Fog Diver by Joel Ross
This Bluebonnet nominee was hands-down Henry's favorite, and he couldn't wait for me to read it so we could talk about it. Set in a dystopian future where a poisonous fog covers the land, young Chess and his crewmates on a salvage raft set out on a journey to save their guardian, and themselves. Henry's already read the sequel and says it's even better than the first. A must-read for kids who love adventure.

What have you been reading lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment