Friday, May 6, 2016

Good Reads {April 2016}

One of my favorite parts of volunteering in the school library is that I am surrounded by others who love books. We talk books and share recommendations constantly. In April, I read a lot of middle-grade books along with the boys, sprinkled with a few adult nonfiction books as well.

Henry's birthday book from the school library

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
After seeing reviews for this memoir pop up all over, I purchased it immediately and then put it aside, knowing it would be a hard read. It's a beautifully written memoir by a talented neurosurgery resident who is diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. Powerful and heartbreaking, this is a must-read.

Manhunt and Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson
This is nonfiction that reads like a novel, and I was hooked from page 1. Manhunt tells the story of Abraham Lincoln's assassination and the massive twelve-day hunt for the assassin. Chasing Lincoln's Killer is the adaptation for children. Even if you know the story, you'll be hooked.

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead
I read this with the second graders I tutor at a Title I school in HISD. The boys' school librarian had extra copies that she was clearing out and she gave them to me to share with my kids. The sweet story won the Caldecott Award in 2011 and is a lovely read aloud about friendship. The pictures are gorgeous too!

Pax by Sara Pennypacker
This middle-grade novel by the author of the Clementine series is another story of friendship. Set during an unspecified war, this novel about a boy and his pet fox, Pax, is told in alternating perspectives. It reminded me very much of the lyrical Mountain Dog by Margarita Engle (one of the Bluebonnet nominees in 2015-2016). This beautifully written story embraces the power of friendship, the devastation of war, and heartbreaking loss.  

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales series by Nathan Hale
I've only read one in this series, but my boys love these graphic novels and read and reread them. The newest in the series is Alamo All-Stars, perfect for Texas history fans.

The Candymakers by Wendy Mass
This middle-grade novel was a school book club pick. Four children are chosen as contestants in annual candy making contest Told from four different perspectives, the story is full of surprises and unexpected twists.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
When our school librarian told me this young-adult novel was a must-read, I immediately put it on hold and then read it in two days when it arrived at the library. Between Shades of Gray is the story of a Lithuanian girl and her family who are deported to Siberia by the Soviets in 1941. Beautifully written, this powerful story will keep you up at night, reading first and then thinking about what you've read.

Nightbird by Alice Hoffman
I've long been a fan of Alice Hoffman's magical realism. Nightbird is her first foray into middle-grade literature and it reminded me very much of Natalie Lloyd's A Snicker of Magic. I really enjoyed this magical tale of friendship.

I have a stack of library books on my nightstand, waiting to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment