Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Weekend: Parties + Fathers and Flashlights

Our weekend was full of fun! The adventures started Friday afternoon with early dismissal from school and two parties to attend. Unfortunately, Henry woke up with a low-grade fever on Friday and had to stay home and miss all the planned fun. (Don't worry, though. Gene made the day special by making pizza and playing Henry's favorite games with him!)

Will was my sidekick Friday night. We had a lot of fun together.


First up was Heather's Chemo's Over party. I gave Will my old camera and he went to town taking pictures of everything.  





The party was so much fun. We celebrated the end of chemo with good food and drinks and a whole crowd of people. Best of all, though, is the fact that Heather is cancer-free! This gal is just amazing and inspiring. She has had such a positive attitude throughout this whole ordeal and I have been so lucky to spend a lot of time with her lately.   


After Heather's party, Will and I headed to the Health Museum for a members' preview party of the Bloodsuckers exhibit. We learned all about leeches, mosquitoes, and ticks.


The big excitement this weekend was Fathers and Flashlights. It's an urban camping adventure that takes place on the elementary school grounds and is a huge fundraiser for West U's parks. It only happens once a year and the boys absolutely love it and look forward to it. Check out Henry's smile here. He is joy personified! He woke up Saturday morning with no fever and feeling great. He was incredibly thrilled to get to go camping, as you can see by his massive grin!


We got lucky this year with mild temperatures in the low 80s, which makes for a much more comfortable camping experience. Henry was feeling brave and climbed the rock wall.



Here's a video of my little climber, with some appropriate background music:


The boys went "fishing" in this huge tank, which happened to be where I was volunteering. After my volunteer shift, I hugged my boys and was off to enjoy dinner and drinks with some of my favorite neighborhood friends. I might love Fathers and Flashlights as much as my boys do!


After running around and playing hard for hours, the boys crashed hard at 9:30, just in time for the rain to start. We spent Sunday at home, playing games, baking and cooking, doing some school work, and just enjoying being together after a very busy, very fun two days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment