Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Readers

My little boys have been reading like crazy this summer. Will goes through chapter books almost faster than I can check them out from the library.  He's a fan of Junie B. Jones, Heidi Heckelbeck, Scooby Doo, Calendar Mysteries, Beverly Cleary, Magic Treehouse, Clementine, Star Wars, poetry, and nonfiction (especially space, the body, and machines).  I am constantly searching for new books for this voracious reader!


And then there's Henry, who has made huge progress this summer. We still do Hooked on Phonics and he just finished the first Kindergarten set. But mostly he's been reading level 1 early readers and he's reading much more fluently now. Will's teacher had her kindergartners read one book over and over again until they could read it completely fluently, so that's what we've been doing with Henry and it has really helped him learn new words, reinforce sight words, and build confidence. Henry's favorite books are the Mercer Mayer Little Critter early readers and early readers by Melinda Melton Crow (all about trucks!).  


I am so proud of my little readers and I am so excited that they both love to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment