Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Top 10 Middle Grade Books of 2017

I read 32 middle grade books (books aimed at the 8-12 year old audience) in 2017, and my goal for 2018 is to ramp up my middle grade reading. I absolutely love children's literature and the quality of books coming out lately is quite incredible. I also find that when I'm in a reading rut, a good middle grade book will grab me and pull me in.  

Here are my top ten middle grade books that I read in 2017:


Some Kind of Couragei by Dan Geimhart
An adventure story about a boy on a quest to rescue his horse. Bluebonnet nominee. A beautiful story about grief, finding home, and accepting others.

Stella by Starlight by Sharon Draper
A coming-of-age story about a black girl in the segregated South. Highly recommended. Excellent on audio.

Short by Holly Goldberg Sloan
A story of growing up and discovering oneself.

Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
A story of differing abilities. An incredible protagonist. Reminiscent of Patricia Polacco's Thank You, Mr. Falker. Great on audio.

The Inquisitor's Tale by Adam Gidwitz
A Newberry Honor Book. Just incredibly written. Excellent on audio.

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
Spooky, fast-paced, and thrilling. The first in a series.

Maybe a Fox by Kathi Appelt and Alison McGhee
A Bluebonnet nominee. A beautiful story about dealing with grief.

Framed! by James Ponti
The first in a super fun mystery series.

Rhyme Schemer by K.A. Holt
A novel in verse, told from a bully's point of view.

Orphan Island by Laurel Snyder
A story about growing up. Reminiscent of Peter Pan.

Please share your favorite middle grade reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment